We are looking for a Principal Scientist to join a Microbiology Discovery Research Team in Ghent, Belgium, and translate preclinical and translational research into novel and differentiating products and, ultimately, breakthrough microbial strategies for the treatment of conditions associated to impaired intestinal health and immune diseases.
- Leading research efforts to meet the objectives determined in the assigned project
- Independently designing, developing and implementing new in vitro assays to screen bacterial strains and study mechanisms underlying the efficacy of microbial interventions in the treatment of a variety of disorders, according to the assigned project(s)
- Having a key role in therapeutic program teams, focused on the identification of novel candidate product strains, design of therapeutic bacterial consortia and the preclinical development of lead candidates, in relation to mode-of-action, engraftment and efficacy
- Analyse the ensuing data and present results to relevant stakeholders
- Identifying opportunities to optimize workflows and increase efficiency, including supporting SOP development
- Providing clear and organized documents, records, and reports of experimental activities
- Planning, scheduling deadlines and mentoring junior members of the research team
- PhD in microbiology, biotechnology, biochemistry or closely related field, plus minimum of 2+ years postdoc experience, and/or equivalent experience in relevant industry, where industry experience is a distinct advantage.
- Research experience in the (gut) microbiome field, i.e. microbial ecology, microbial metabolism and metabolic pathways and molecular microbiology is essential. Experiences in microbe-host interactions in the context of inflammatory diseases as well as bioinformatic skills will be an advantage.
- Experience with handling BSL-2 organisms and anaerobes.
- Highly organized, methodical and motivated individual with good attention to detail and the ability to see the bigger picture. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.
For more information please contact me at: +31 (0)20 20 44 502 or email@example.com.