A spin-off company from Ghent University, specialised in the development of laboratory model systems of the human and animal intestinal tract, is looking for an (Junior)Associate Scientist! As (Junior) Associate Scientist, you become an essential part of the daily organisation and performance of the laboratory activities. You will provide the necessary practical support for the performance of both service and in-house research projects and you will actively participate in such projects as part of the team.
- Operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment including anaerobic chambers, biosafety cabinets and automated machinery.
- Performing complex experiments using the SHIME technology platform, investigating food, feed and pharma compounds.
- Aerobic and anaerobic culturing, isolation and characterisation of bacteria including the preparation of media, reagents and samples for analysis.
- Analytical techniques including basic microbial work, flow cytometry, metabolite extraction, etc.
- Identifying opportunities to optimise workflows and increase efficiency, including supporting SOP development.
- Providing clear and organised documents and records of experimental activities.
- Highly organised, methodical and motivated individual with good attention to detail. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.
- BS (or higher) degree in microbiology, biotechnology, biochemistry or closely related field; experience in industry or equivalent experience is a plus.
- Experience with handling BSL-2 organisms and anaerobes is a plus.
- Team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organised, accurate and precise (both in work output, respect for lab safety and timely performance)
- Flexible and comfortable in multi-tasking
- Responsible and integer (transparent in work performance, yet respecting confidentiality)
- A result oriented, outgoing attitude with a high level of energy and eager to learn
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English is an asset
- Familiar with MS Word and Excel
We offer a position with access to a broad array of technologies, allowing you to expand your capacities in different areas and with varied and challenging daily activities. You will become part of a young and dynamic team in an innovative, growing company environment.
The job title and level will correspond to the education level, work experience, and skills of the selected candidate.
For more information please contact me at: +31 (0)20 20 44 502 or firstname.lastname@example.org.